Blog – 10 best office chair for back pain
Why to choose Best Office Chair for Back Pain ? Your workplace chair, along with your bed, is one of the areas where you spend the most time. Choosing the greatest, most supportive office chair is crucial to prevent (or even treat) back and neck pain, discomfort, or muscular exhaustion, just as it is to choose the right firm mattress or most supportive pillow to sleep on.
Your spine is made up of vertebrae, as you may recall from seventh grade science class. Discs sit between the vertebrae and cushion the bones in your spine, acting as shock absorbers for your body. Your discs, like you, aren’t fond of sitting at your desk for long periods of time.
“When you’re seated, you’re putting the most pressure on the discs in your lumbar spine,” explains Dr. Adam Schell, MD, a spine surgeon. “The pressure on the discs is relatively modest when you’re standing.” That’s why, in addition to getting the greatest office chair, Schell suggests getting up and walking about on a frequent basis, or even employing a standing desk.
It also makes a difference how you sit in the chair. According to Dr. Emily Wang, MD, an internist at the Arnold-Warfield Pain Center, your posture (whether slumped or excessively rigid) and the position of your knees when you’re sitting, especially if they’re overextended, can modify the position of your back, causing pain.
With more people working from home than ever in recent years, chiropractor Steve Hannagan, D.C. said to have seen many more back cases related to work, chair or sitting pain caused by people not sitting in supportive postures at their virtual workplaces. So, as much as you would want to, working from your sofa or bed all day is definitely not a smart idea. and that is where you need to find the best office chair for back pain to move away with these problems.
We believe that investing in the finest office chair for back pain is a wise investment. If you’re a digital creative, you undoubtedly spend a substantial chunk of your day sitting at a desk, whether it’s for your WFH office or your corporate studio. That’s great, but health experts caution against sitting for extended periods of time, especially since how we sit and what we sit on can worsen the bad impacts of a sedentary lifestyle. Of course, taking regular breaks away from your desk is beneficial, but that isn’t always possible. So, the greatest ergonomic office chairs may assist guarantee we’re sitting properly, providing our bodies – particularly our backs – the best chance of staying healthy.
We also offer a guide on the finest office chairs in general, not just for aiding with posture.
The top 10 List of best office chair for back pain
1. The Sleep Company SmartGRID High-Back Chair for Office & Home, Patented SmartGRID Technology for advanced Orthopedic Support | Adjustable Lumbar Support for ergonomic sitting posture | Multiple Adjustments Mechanism | Made in India | Onyx (Classic Black & Black)
About this item
- Patented SmartGRID Technology – Onyx seat & back support are designed with our Patented SmartGRID Technology which cradles your tailbone and provides extra cushioning to your tushy for long working hours. Be it in an office or WFH setup SmartGRID No Pressure Support allows your spine to stay in its natural posture and gives you a feeling of weightlessness. Not just that it has multiple air channels to ensure your seat & back stay cool and comfy.
- Multiple Adjustments – 2D Adjustable Headrest |Heavy Nylon Chrome Finished 2D Adjustable Arms| The Ergonomically designed S-shaped backrest can be tilted from 90 to 135degree with a 3 positions lock lever | 2D Adjustable Lumbar support can be adjusted as per the back support required.
- Heavy Duty Base Structure – Gas lift: Class 3 Samhongsa Gas lift for seat height adjustment | Castors: Chrome Finished Anti-Scratch 60mm Nylon Wheels for 360-degree swivel movement| Maximum Weight Load Capacity: 150kg | It is best suited for offices, meeting rooms, work-from home setup, & living room.
- Warranty & Quality – Made in India | 3 Years Manufacturer’s Professional and Hassle-Free Warranty applicable from the date of delivery | ISTA Standard packaging for reducing in-transit damage | 3 steps DIY Installation (Installation steps included in the manual), takes less than 20mins for installation.
If you spend a lot of time at a desk, it’s worth investing in an ergonomic chair for back pain that will adequately support your body, and our top suggestion is the above chair. Yes, it is costly. But, as you’d expect from a Herman Miller chair, it’s really comfy and stylish. And it gives us the finest back support we’ve ever had.
2. SIHOO High Back Home Office Chair, Ergonomic Mesh Back Desk Chair with Adjustable Armrest and Lumbar Support, Study Executive Chair (Black)
About this item
- ★【Multiple Adjustments】5 ergonomic adjustabilities help you to find the most comfortable seating position for a long term sitting. Adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, and tilt adjustment plus height adjustable arms, all provide you a customized seating experience.
- ★【Breathable Mesh Back】The premium backrest with mesh fabric is flexible, giving you a cool feeling and comfortable sitting experience by promoting good air flow, eliminating sweating and moisture, to keep you focus and relax at the same time.
- ★【Well Padded Seat】W-shaped design for the seat ensures you sit centrally .The front edge of the seat has a waterfall front, which ensures minimum pressure on your legs during prolonged seating periods. High-density sponge-filled cushion is soft and not easily deformed.
- ★【High Quality & Easy Assembly】The gas lift of high back office chair has been certified by BIFMA and SGS and has passed the static pressure test of 1136 kg. Our desk chair can support a weight of up to 150 kg. Simple instructions enable anyone to put chair together in eight simple steps.
- ★【Three Years Warranty】If there are any quality problems, Sihoo Home Study Chair promises to provide you with zero-profit product accessories within three years warranty period.
Concerned about your back but unable to afford the first chair on our list? Here’s the finest office chair for back discomfort at a reasonable price. This attractive chair looks the part for office use and compares favorably in terms of practicality and appearance to many more expensive alternatives. After a few days of use, we believe the highlights are the breathable mesh back and the decent amount of lumbar support that comes with it.
3. MISURAA Imported Omega Mid Back Ergonomic Office & Home Chair with Korean Mesh Seat & Back, Flip Up Arms & Lumbar Supporting Back (White)
About this item
- BREATHABLE KOREAN MESH – By doing away with foam and fabric; we solved one of prolonged sitting’s biggest problems; the buildup of heat and humidity close to the body. The breathable mesh on the back as well as seat of this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your body cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back and thighs sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- LUMBAR SUPPORT – Have back issues or don’t want to develop them This ergonomic office chair does not sport the conventional lumbar support attachment; the contouring design of the back itself provides support to the lower and mid back region and helps in avoiding or reducing any kind of pain. Now you can make your back feel the most comfortable simply by sitting on the chair
- HIGHEST QUALITY – This adjustable mesh chair is made to last. It has a good weight capacity of upto 120kgs and is made from the highest quality materials; including a nylon mesh seat and back; sturdy arm; dyecast aluminum base and heavy duty caster wheels that allow you to move easily across carpeted and hard floor
- SPACE SAVING – You can flip up the arms of the chair and slide it under the desk; which saves floor space. This is ideal for study tables and desks with or without drawers under them
- EASY TO INSTALL – Simple DIY – Do It Yourself instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in simple steps Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
When we got it out of the package, the first thing we noticed was that it has less pieces than its sister, but the vented elastomer backrest, built of strands that vary in thickness and tension, provides a wonderful mix of support and comfort, as well as outstanding air circulation.
4. BAEYE Premium Ergonomic SS Soft Desk Chair High Engineered Frame Durable and Adjustable Office Chair Modern Executive Chair with Adjustable Armrests Lumbar Support – Grey
About this item
- Color : Grey
- Material: Imported Mesh | Chrome Plated Steel Base
- Front & Back Adjustable Lumbar Support
- High-density foam seat cushion provides a long time setting comfort.
- Elegant Durable, Adjustable & Comfortable Armrest | Up & Down Adjustable Head Support
It’s really comfy and adaptable, and it provides adequate lumbar and lower back support.
5. JD9 High Back Ergonomic Chair Cushion Seat with Advanced Syncro Tilt Mechanism, 2D Adjustable Arms & Headrest for Office & Home for Office & Home
About this item
- Headrest Height and Angle adjustment : Multi position headrest height adjustable with angle tilt feature for optimum head to neck support. Adjustable Lumbar Support : Height adjustable Lumbar support system to provide adequate lower back support. Seat Height: The seat height can be adjusted to find the perfect seating position.
- 2D Armrest adjustment: ARM HEIGHT adjustments that allow your elbows and forearms to be supported by the arm rests. By properly aligning the elbow and therefore wrist on the keyboard, many repetitive wrist and hand injuries can be avoided.
- Mesh Material: The mesh material used in back is Nylon for its extra ability to stretch and thick wire finish to provide toughness. Seat Material: Energy absorbing soft cushion & fabric upholstery to give comfort for continuous seating at one place. The advantage of cushion seat can be understood after long hours use, it provides comfort to hips and thighs that helps in avoiding pain in the thigh area & other problems.
- Frame Material : Nylon + Glass fiber frame which offers exceptional toughness to the product, Chair Base : 5 prong nylon base with Nylon Castors, Hydraulic : Heavy duty gas lift for seat height adjustment bearing capacity 120kgs.
- Easy Assembly : The product needs Complete D I Y ( DO- IT- YOURSELF) Assembly. No machine required to assemble.
The JD9 High Back ergonomic chair is a one-of-a-kind option on this list of the finest office chairs for back discomfort. That’s because it’s only available in GameBoy grey, beige, and chrome, has a really great 80s throwback aesthetic, and has made an attempt to make it a decent ergonomic office chair. This is due to a number of adjustable features, such as a sliding lumbar support and a comfortable heat rest.
Can office chairs ease back pain?
Yes, the greatest ergonomic office chairs may help avoid back discomfort in the first place, as well as relieve it if you currently have it. However, if you already have back discomfort, we recommend seeing a doctor and choosing a different chair because there might be other underlying problems.
Many healthcare specialists factor to the advantages of the use of an tailored chair.. “These days, we spend a lot time sitting in the front of our computer systems that our frame can’t keep amazing posture for hours with out fatigue,” says Dr. Amy Hoover, P, a physiotherapist at the fitness business
“A chair that allows your lower back to retain a comfortable neutral posture, maintaining the natural curvature in the lower back, may relieve stress on the spine and enhance spinal alignment all the way up to your head.”
Lyndsay Hirst, a physiotherapist who specializes in back problems and is a Pilates specialist, agrees. “The appropriate chair setup is vital,” she says, “not only to support the natural curvature of the spine but also the shoulders.” “Armrests are extremely beneficial for people who suffer from neck and mid-spine discomfort. Lumbar support is also really beneficial. A movable seat plate, backrest, and arms allow the user to customize the chair to their unique position.”
Which office chair is best for back pain?
Because there are such a lot of possibilities, it is hard to single out one product because the best office chair for back pain overall. However, as said above, the quality ergonomic office chair for our money is the The Sleep Company SmartGRID High-Back Chair. It’s very adjustable, along with lumbar assist, fabricated from super materials, and appears great. We might strongly propose you to make investments within side the quality lower back support you could afford.
What chair characteristics are beneficial for back pain?
A decent office chair for back discomfort should have various ergonomic qualities. One of the most important features is the ability to adjust the chair so that it fits your body shape. See our guide on what makes an office chair ergonomic for more information, but in brief, search for chairs that have:
- Lumbar assistance (see below)
- Armrests that are adjustable
- Adjustable seat depth
- Tilt and recline
According to James Crow, creator of Posture Stars, a website that promotes proper posture: “The greatest office chair for back discomfort is one that is extremely adjustable, allowing you to get the back to support you effectively. We wouldn’t buy the cheapest mattress or automobile, yet many of us spend eight to ten hours a day seated in a ‘value’ chair.”
He also emphasizes the need of replacing an old chair. “If you’ve had your chair for more than a decade, it’s probably time to replace it. The materials deteriorate with time, with the seat padding receiving the brunt of the damage.”
What exactly is lumbar support?
When shopping for a back support chair, discomfort, you’ll frequently come across references to lumbar support. But what precisely does that mean? As Chongsu Lee, a physiotherapist and designer of the robotic BackHug device, notes, “lumbar support can be an attachment or a built-in portion of an office chair that aligns with your lower back to preserve its natural inward curvature.
What is the significance of this? When you sit, your lumbar becomes sandwiched between your torso (above) and buttocks (below). When you sit, your lumbar stress is 1.5 times higher than when you stand, and twice as high as when you walk.
“When left unsupported, the tension generates stiffness, rendering the lower back prone to ailments like slipped discs,” Chongsu explains. “Lumbbar support, like support beams in a structure, absorbs the pressure and pushes your lumbar up, protecting it from stress and damage.”
How should you sit in an office chair?
Knees should be just below hip level., and feet should be level on the floor or on a suitable footrest, according to the NHS website. Crossing your legs is a certain way to cause aches and pains due to poor posture. An sufficient support for your lower back will be provided by an adjustable chair (tilt, height, and recline), and if you’re using a keyboard, make sure your chair is positioned so you can operate it with straight wrists and hands (level with the floor).